Unemployment Insurance Benefits – Filing a New Claim
Can I apply for unemployment insurance benefits?
If you apply for unemployment insurance benefits today, your claim will be effective 8/09/2010. If you have worked or will work four or more days or earn more than $405.00 gross pay between 8/09/2010 – 8/15/2010, you cannot file your claim at this time. You must wait until next Monday, 8/16/2010, in order to file if you are still unemployed.
What information will I need to file a claim?
To complete the online application, you will need the following information:
* Social Security Number
* Valid New York State drivers license or Non-Driver Photo Identification Card number (if you have either one)
* Your complete mailing address and zip code
* Telephone number where we can contact you between 8 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday
* Employer Registration number or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) of your most recent employer (FEIN may be found on your W-2 forms), if you have it
* Complete name, address, zip code and phone number of your most recent employer
* Alien Registration card number (if you are not a U.S. Citizen)
* If you are unable to print, have a pen and paper available to write down important information
* Remember, if you are choosing to have direct deposit of your weekly benefits, you must have a check handy in order to enter your bank routing and checking account numbers
You will be required to establish a 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) in order to complete your application and access information regarding your claim.
If you currently reside in Canada or your most recent employer has a Canadian address, you must file for unemployment insurance benefits by calling the Telephone Claims Center at 1-888-209-8124 (1-877-358-5306 for out of state residents).
until next Monday, 8/16/2010, in order to file if you are still unemployed.